Saturday, March 16, 2013

Santa Anita Regional Park in Arcadia





Back in the spring of 1980 I used to run five laps around this park in the mornings with my very decent friend, Al Madrigal.  We would run this to train for basketball pick-up games that we'd play in and around Azusa and the east side of LA.  We used to run the stadium bleachers over at Citrus in the morning too.  I think at one point we even attempted the switchbacks at Mt. SAC in Walnut.  Those were the years when I had my 1980 green Volkswagen bug.  Al had his dad's GMC propaned-fueled truck where Al enjoyed one of his favorite singers of those days, BJ Thomas.  He had several popular hits.  This was one of them.



I also ran cross country meets here.  Actually, just one, an invitational.  Arcadia was a dominant team back in 1971.  Even though we had Alan Ashcraft, Tom Ashcraft, Marc Greene, and David Vandevere.  Come to think of it, I think a big reason for why I even joined Duarte's cross country team was because Jimmy Flores was on the team.  After that he played basketball.  Then I too went out for the C basketball team.  What a follower!  Bah-bah-bah.  Sheep.
Though I didn't get a shot of the pool or the tennis courts, my mother used to take me and my two younger brothers swimming here in the wading pools as children.  It is a fond memory, fully baked in warm sunlight of a doting mother running around, making sure we had towels, were having fun, and did things properly.  Miss you, Mom.  There was a different statue at this site back in the 60s.  You can see that statue here by scrolling to the 8th photo from the top in this post.
I found the above picture from this page here.

I always thought lawn bowling was for seniors and it is, but those seniors know how to dress dapper.  Yellow polyester pants, white shows, and a yellow cabana shirt.  The stuff of stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment